Our meeting this month takes place at the historic Lasky-DeMille barn, where the first full-length feature movie in Hollywood was filmed. Cecil B. DeMille and Jesse Lasky rented the barn and used it as a “studio” for production of The Squaw Man. Production began in 1913 and the movie was released in February 1914.
Some history on the barn itself: It was constructed in a Hollywood citrus field on Vine St. at Selma in 1895. L.L. Burns, the founder of Western Costume Co., and Harry Revier purchased the barn in March 1913 and soon leased it to DeMille and Lasky. The little barn on Vine St. would eventually evolve into Paramount Pictures (with a few name changes on the way).
In 1926, the barn was moved to where present-day Paramount Pictures now stands. It had several functions over the years, including library, film set, conference room and gym. In 1956, the Lasky- DeMille barn was designated California Historic State Monument No. 554 and named Hollywood’s First Major Film Company Studio.”
More big changes were on the way. Hollywood Heritage purchased the barn 1983 and moved it to its present location. Despite its historic designation, the barn had been boarded up, fenced off and moved to the parking lot of the Hollywood Palace Theatre. Today, the Lasky-DeMille barn has been restored by Hollywood Heritage and now functions as a museum. It was officially dedicated in 1985.
We look forward to seeing you there!