Opened in 1913, the Globe is the oldest theatre in L.A.’s original Broadway district. During its 105-year history, the building has seen its share of changes, tenants and functions.
When the theatre originally opened it was for the Vaudeville circuit that was so popular during the first part of the twentieth century. Built by theatre producer Oliver Morosco he named his venue in honor of himself: The Morosco. As was the custom of the era, the theatre was an ornate palace that featured marble, plaster cherubs and a glazed brick façade that rose eleven stories. Architects Morgan, Walls & Morgan built the Morosco in a Beaux Arts style.
Changes came to the theatre in the 1930s when the Morosco became the Newsreel and the marquee was replaced to reflect the new era. The name changed again in 1949 to the Globe and the marquee has remained since. (Look for “Morosco” hiding behind the current marquee!) The marquee wasn’t the only update for the Globe, though. At some point, the theatre’s purpose changed again and began showing Spanish-language films before finally closing in the 1980s. The original floor was removed and for a time the lobby served as a swap meet space. It was a time when many Angelenos lost interest in downtown and the city’s classic theatres.
Fortunately, the Broadway district in downtown is currently experiencing a resurgence thanks to dedicated volunteers and historically minded developers. The Globe is a prime example of an architecturally significant building restored to its former glory and repurposed for the modern era. The Globe is once again thriving with entertainment and hosts a variety of live events, concerts, dances and movie screenings.